Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The Curry Connection

I made curry sauce from scratch using S and B Curry Powder and it was good, but too spicy/hot for me.
One of the first things I learned about curry powder is that it is not a spice unto itself, but is a combination of spices. This is why getting the same exact flavor as Coco's will be a bit difficult.
BUT, thanks to justhungry.com I now have a place to start with my own curry making, and after going over the formula at "just hungry", this is what I came up with:

Mild Curry Powder
5 1/4 t. Turmeric
4 1/8 t. Coriander
1 1/2 t. Cumin
1 1/8 t. Cardamom
1/8 t. Fennel
1/8 t. Allspice
1/8 t. Fenugreek
1/8 t. Licorice

Hot spices can be added according to taste if desired.
Roast ground spices in a dry frying pan for about 2-3 minutes. Cool and let mature in a cool, dark place for about a month.

Well, I've gathered the needed spices but two of them aren't ground so I'll be buying a coffee grinder in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment